About Zaytuna College
Zaytuna College is America’s first accredited Muslim liberal arts college that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees. A central goal of the College is to reintegrate the once vital and influential voice of Muslim thought and erudition back into the ongoing conversation of great ideas, which is informed largely by shifting Western values, and to do so within the context of our new, globalized society and in the manner articulated by the College’s mission statement: “to educate and prepare morally committed professionals, intellectuals, and spiritual leaders, who are grounded in the Islamic scholarly tradition and conversant with the cultural currents and critical ideas shaping modern society.”
The administrative coordinator for the Department of Publications coordinates editorial and print projects, including Curriculum Series books, Renovatio journal, and other content. Responsibilities include project management and tracking; maintaining the editorial calendar; maintaining all records and files; managing all payments for writers, contractors, and vendors; shipping and mailing; tracking budgets; scheduling meetings; coordinating event logistics; and providing other administrative support as directed.
The following are the primary day-to-day responsibilities for this position. These are not exclusive or all-inclusive.
- Provides necessary administrative support for team members of the Department of Publications, including scheduling weekly meetings and tracking action items, project management in support of meeting deadlines, and serving as a central source of information about Publications projects, including Renovatio, for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Assists in tracking projects on an online platform; maintains an editorial calendar, grant reports calendar, and operations calendar; updates tasks and sends reminders to team members for upcoming deadlines and changes; serves as a liaison with other departments at Zaytuna (Accounting, Marketing, Provost’s Office, Zaytuna Bookstore, and so on); monitors institutional email addresses; and provides support to the Director of Publications in all communications to staff, faculty, and scholars.
- Assists in managing relations with scholars and writers, especially in securing signatures on writer agreements, processing honorarium payments, and mailing copies of Renovatio print editions to writers, Board of Advisors, potential writers, and other individuals as needed.
- Maintains all Publications files and records (physical and electronic) in an organized manner so they are easily accessible as needed. The files and records include all design/layout files in InDesign and PDF formats, all records of payments to writers, vendors, and contractors (tax forms, wire transfer forms, etc.), all invoices submitted and paid, all foundation grant proposals and communications, and a regularly updated master-list of all writers and potential writers (with addresses, contact information, payment history, etc.).
- Works closely with the Accounting department to track budget and expenses throughout the year, assists director of publications in preparing grant proposals and reports as well as annual budget requests, and provides options for minimizing expenses by securing bids for printing and researching options for cost savings in any purchases of products or services. Ensures that all scholars, contractors, and vendors are paid on time.
- Works closely with the events manager in Marketing to coordinate event logistics for Renovatio events, such as travel, lodging, and hosting for visiting scholars. Provides assistance to scholars/guest speakers for travel and lodging by booking flights and hotel rooms and securing receipts for any expense reimbursements.
- Tracks raw data on a weekly basis from the Renovatio website, social media, YouTube, and emails to subscribers. Provides departmental data reports needed for grant reports, Board of Trustee meetings, and other appropriate occasions.
- Communicates effectively with scholars, community leaders, and other administrators in multiple contexts (in person, email, telephone, and snail mail).
- Handles all deliveries and shipping, including mailings of complimentary copies of books and journals to scholars and dignitaries. Researches and compiles lists of influential scholars, leaders, and writers to receive complimentary copies.
- Serves as primary contact with vendors, including printing companies, banner production companies, and cosponsors of events.
- Secures all copyrights and permissions needed from other publications for excerpts and reprints.
- Performs other editorial and administrative duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in office administration, or a related field, is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 3–5 years of experience as an administrative or operations coordinator/assistant, or equivalent position. Experience working at a religious organization a plus
- Demonstrated abilities in project management, record-keeping, maintaining files, shipping and mailing, and related tasks.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to be able to converse with scholars and intellectuals.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Resourcefulness and ability to complete tasks with little supervision.
- Good cultural fit at a religious institution.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Successful completion of a background check
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends, especially during major editorial deadlines or at Renovatio events.
- Email your résumé and a cover letter to [email protected] addressing why you are interested in working for the Publications Department at Zaytuna College.
- Include the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Zaytuna College is an
equal opportunity employer.