About Zaytuna College
Zaytuna College is America’s first accredited Muslim liberal arts college that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees. A central goal of the College is to reintegrate the once vital and influential voice of Muslim thought and erudition back into the ongoing conversation of great ideas, which is informed largely by shifting Western values, and to do so within the context of our new, globalized society and in the manner articulated by the College’s mission statement: “To educate and prepare morally committed professionals, intellectuals, and spiritual leaders, who are grounded in the Islamic scholarly tradition and conversant with the cultural currents and critical ideas shaping modern society.”
The administrative assistant for academic and student affairs reports to the provost and serves as the primary administrative support to two offices: Office of Student Life and Office of Graduate Studies. The position is responsible for performing a wide variety of confidential administrative and office management duties for both offices including but not limited to recordkeeping, document preparation, communications with students and faculty, scheduling, expense management, special internal meeting or event arrangements, basic hospitality for special guests, maintenance of relevant student and faculty records in collaboration with the registrar, administrative support for incoming and outgoing graduate students, and any other administrative support to facilitate the work of the director of student life and the director of graduate studies. The position requires a quick acquisition of knowledge regarding Zaytuna College and the basic operational elements of a small college.
The following are the primary day-to-day responsibilities for this position. These are not exclusive or all-inclusive.
1. Performs general and day-to-day administrative assistant duties to facilitate the execution of the goals of the Office of Student Life and Office of Graduate Studies.
2. Supports the successful operations of office and committee meetings as assigned, including taking meeting minutes, and primarily for the Office of Student Life, Student Affairs Committee, Covid-19 Task Force, Office of Graduate Studies, and the Graduate Faculty Affairs Committee.
3. Maintains critical current files for both offices according to college standards and organizes historical institutional records. Effectively maintains and prepares files, including printing, copying, scanning, and filing.
4. Works with the registrar to maintain accurate records on student achievement related to graduation requirements that are overseen by both directors (service learning, sunnah sports, graduate thesis and defense, graduate language proficiency, and so on).
5. Supports the graduate faculty in their management of student records to ensure timely completion of the graduate degree.
6. Drafts and formats correspondences for both directors and speaks on their behalf when requested. Liaises with other office personnel, including student life staff and graduate faculty.
7. Maintains the calendar for both directors and offices, including meetings and events.
8. Maintains official records related to expenses, invoices, and contracts and adheres to accounting protocols.
9. As needed, receives and hosts guests and provides tours on behalf of the directors.
Qualifications and Experience
Required Education and Experience
Minimum education of associate’s degree or equivalent
At least two years of professional experience in administrative support, front-office reception
Preferred Education and Experience
Experience in a higher education environment
Experience working with diverse populations
Experience with event coordination
Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Superior attention to detail
Ability to prioritize a variety of time-sensitive tasks
Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Strong service orientation and superior customer service skills
High degree of responsiveness and flexibility
Ability to work effectively both independently and in collaboration with others at varying levels
Proficiency in Microsoft Office and A/V meeting and communication tools
Legal authorization to work in the United States
Successful completion of a background check
Valid US driver’s license
Email your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Be sure to include the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Zaytuna College is an equal opportunity employer