About Zaytuna College
Zaytuna College is America’s first accredited Muslim liberal arts college that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees. A central goal of the College is to reintegrate the once vital and influential voice of Muslim thought and erudition back into the ongoing conversation of great ideas, which is informed largely by shifting Western values, and to do so within the context of our new, globalized society and in the manner articulated by the College’s mission statement: “to educate and prepare morally committed professionals, intellectuals, and spiritual leaders, who are grounded in the Islamic scholarly tradition and conversant with the cultural currents and critical ideas shaping modern society.”
Reporting to the Office of the President, the director of marketing leads the strategy and creative direction of the marketing department for Zaytuna College, driving critical College priorities for student recruitment, fundraising, and thought leadership. The director oversees content development for Zaytuna College’s channels of public communications (print, website, public emails, videos and podcasts, and social media). The director ensures that all language and visuals in public-facing communications that define and frame the mission, the education philosophy, the curriculum, and events accurately reflect the College and all its educational activities.
The director works collaboratively
with various department heads to ensure that their goals are supported by the
marketing department. The director manages the creative process for all
marketing assets (print brochures, videos, podcasts, photography, email design,
website upgrades) and guides departmental staff (a team of four to six) in
maintaining a standard of excellence. The director is responsible for
developing and using an efficient project management system to ensure quality
and meet deadlines. The director ensures that the College’s marketing efforts
are strategic and data-informed and that marketing performance is accurately
Roles and Responsibilites
- Develop and execute marketing strategies to support and expand student recruitment and fundraising and align these strategies with relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and execute marketing strategies for the College auxiliaries, such as the College bookstore, its journal, Renovatio, and the College’s academic initiatives.
- Lead the creative development of marketing assets, including hiring and managing creative professionals, and approving creative assets. This leadership includes gaining buy-in on creative assets from relevant stakeholders.
- Manage communications through all channels—print, website, emails, podcasts and videos, social media, and online advertising—so that they are aligned and synchronized to effectively communicate and optimize the desired audience response.
- Manage the college’s brand and creative work, abide by the College’s brand guidelines and its Style Guide, and ensure that all writing, A/V, and brand/style guidelines meet the approval of the College President.
- Manage and mentor staff who fill all essential functions of the department, including writing, designing, project management, digital data analytics, social media posts, podcast and video productions, public event branding, database analysis and segmentation, website enhancements and content updates, email design and communications, and administrative functions, including budget preparation and tracking, record-keeping, payment of invoices, and shipping and mailing.
- Oversee and drive a robust digital media strategy and incorporate best practices in website architecture and navigation, email design and communications, social media postings and engagement, data analyses with an aim to improve response rates and effectiveness, and online advertising to increase donations and student applications and to expand the College’s base of supporters.
- Vet and maintain a stable base of contractors and vendors to perform other duties, including photography, print design, copy editing, proofreading, website enhancement, and printing.
- Oversee marketing podcast and video production, working closely with the A/V manager through pre- and post-production phases to ensure the content communicates the College’s activities and informs and inspires intended audiences to support the College and its programs.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the other department heads and the College’s events coordinator to plan and promote public events with an eye toward maintaining consistency of the College brand in all aspects, including hosting and hospitality, stage and set productions, decorations, and recording of events and studio conversations.
- Set up and maintain an effective project management system (including editorial and design review steps) aimed at ensuring a standard of excellence and timely delivery of projects.
- Align with the College President and relevant department heads on Key Performance Indicators and regularly report on these metrics.
- Prepare and track the annual departmental budget and expenses.
Qualifications, Experience, and Competencies
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Minimum seven years in a leading role as a marketing professional, including experience with brand management, print and digital marketing, messaging communications, and advertising
- Awareness of Zaytuna College’s educational philosophy and curriculum, knowledge of the liberal arts tradition, and a commitment to the College’s vision, mission, values, and objectives
- Proven working experience in project management
- Working knowledge of, and experience within, the American Muslim community
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills, including writing and editing marketing copy, framing messages, and crafting communications based on the sensitivities of audiences
- Ability to mentor younger staff members to improve their work and to give constructive feedback to writers, designers, and A/V staff
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to details; ability to prioritize work effectively and adjust to multiple demands
Work Environment: The director operates in a professional office environment when not traveling. The job routinely uses technology, including, but not limited to, computers, microphones, telecommunications systems, desk phones, cell phones, smartphones, and copiers.
Travel: This position requires approximately 20 percent travel time; frequent out-of-the area and overnight travel can be expected, including weekends and holidays.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Successful completion of a background check
- Email your cover letter and resume to [email protected].
- Be sure to include the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
- We highly recommend submitting a portfolio of creative marketing assets (print & digital) you have previously overseen.
Zaytuna College is an
equal opportunity employer.